Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Back To The Beach


This past weekend I performed with my band at the Cedar Beach Blues Festival, for the fourth year in a row. Having been around for over 2 decades, the festival is a local tradition for the Long Island blues and roots music scene. I am honored to have been asked back so many times and as always, we enjoyed rocking the acoustic tent, which is often filled with a variety of acoustic-centered acts ranging from soloists and duos to full blown bands.

It's not uncommon for guest artists to jump in with other acts throughout the festival. In addition to my usual band, I met another musician that day, Jim Romeo, who sat in to add bongos to my songs - it sounded great! The event is a great place to hang out and network with your fellow musicians. It was nice to get a chance to talk with other musicians - some of whom I only have connected with on Facebook, or some who I haven't shared a bill with in years. What a great way to catch up with other artists and see other people's sets for a change.

When I'm among other musicians, I always fall into what I call "musician guilt", as I feel bad when I can't catch everyone's sets. Family obligations kept me from getting there at the start of the festival, though I was able to catch the 2 acts that played before me, and I stayed for a few others after mine. In a perfect world I'd be able to have been there from 11am-8pm. At least there's a wealth of online footage posted to Facebook afterwards, so I can experience some of the music that was missed.

The best part of the festival is the fact that it supports the local community. Having grown up in that area, I'm glad to perform for a festival that raises funds for local scholarships. That's one of the best things about being a musician - being able to give back.

No comments:

Post a Comment