Sunday, July 14, 2013

Great Spring Gigs, Followed by Awesome Summer Shows


Summer is in full swing, after a great Spring season of successful shows. Highlights of recent months include flawless solo acoustic sets at 89 North, the Plaza Cinema Media Arts Center, Hoptron Brewtique (all in Patchogue - Long Island's hot bed of music right now), and an invigorating full band show at the Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington, hosted by the Folk Music Society of Huntington. While new motherhood has created time limitations on my performing schedule, I'm glad to be in a place of "quality rather than quantity" when it comes to booking recent gigs, as I've been very fortunate to have so many renowned local music venues adding me to their lineups.

Another great local venue that I performed at in June was Tiger Lily Cafe, in Port  Jefferson, NY. I was asked to do one show a month over the course of the summer, so if you missed the first show, I have two more dates coming your way: Sunday, July 21 and Sunday, August 18th. Shows start at 3:30pm and go until 5pm, where I'll be doing an upbeat mix of songs from my 2 CDs as well as my favorite covers. Tiger Lily is an awesome eatery, with many vegetarian options too. Love their wraps, in particular the Kansas City Wrap or the Southwest Wrap.

I do have full band shows planned too - like my return to the Sayville SummerFest on Sunday, August 4th at 12:15-1pm on the corner of Main Street and Candee Avenue. I'm hoping to book something in Astoria, Queens as well before then, once I have details confirmed I'll post here too. Closing out the "Summer festival season", will be the Cedar Beach Blues Festival - this year at the beginning of October - and the band and I will be in the acoustic tent.

New songs are in the works - both new covers with the band, and some acoustic based solo songs of mine. I debuted 2 songs I wrote about my son recently, having played one on keyboard at 89 North, and one on guitar at the PlazaMAC songwriter series. They seem perfect in an acoustic arrangement as they're tender and introspective, so not sure if I'll play them with the band, but when I take them into the studio I definitely plan to add more layers of instrumentation, perhaps strings. Also added to my musical bag of tricks are more harmonies. Drummer Steve and I have been rehearsing vocal harmonies for him to add to many of my songs as well as covers, which make the songs so much richer. All the more reason to stop by some of these upcoming shows to hear all these new developments.


No comments:

Post a Comment